A rich and hearty bolognese sauce with delicious layers added to the classic tomato herb sauce by red wine, mushrooms and fragrant cinnamon. Whip up a batch and have it ready in the fridge for an easy weeknight spaghetti (or any pasta) bolognese treat.
- 900g lean minced beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 120ml red wine
- 25g dry onion soup mix
- 110g tinned mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 785g passata
- 170g tomato purée
- 250ml water
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr15min
- In a large frying pan, brown the meat with the garlic over medium heat. Stir in the wine; simmer, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Mix in dry onion soup mix, mushrooms, basil, salt and pepper, cinnamon, allspice, parsley, passata, tomato purée and water. Cover pan almost completely, allowing space for steam to escape, and simmer for 1 hour. Add additional water as needed to prevent sticking.